Saturday, August 30, 2008

OH, THERE IT IS!



Dave answered the impassioned pleadings of Reed Gardner and sacrificed his Saturday to accompany Reed to the BYU game. His one day off. I know, he supposedly has the weekend, but let's face it, Sunday is not a day off. It's just a day different. And it is certainly not a day of rest. His Sundays start at 6 am and he gets home at 4 pm. I'm not complaining, just sayin'. So here I am on Saturday with the day to myself. Did some laundry and tried to find the bridge to a song I have been writing for eight-hundred-fifty-seven years. Alas, no bridge today either. So I wandered out to the kitchen where I told myself I could watch TV if I cleaned. Some rerun of a law show had just started. I looked over at the counter next to the stove top. More like the mountain next to the stove top. Like a kid dipping her toe in the water I touched one piece of paper at the summit. Picked it up and held it, repeating the mantra: "Everything you do is something done! Everything you do is something done!" And at the same time I clamped my fingers tight on the paper until it found a permanent home somewhere. The waters tested, I dove straight in. Three reruns later I FOUND IT! My counter top! My pretty granite counter top! It was so lovely, and shiny (after a good polish) that I hovered over it and said Hi to myself. So what if it is just a little corner of a vast and neglected household! Hey, it's a start!

5 comments:

  1. Looks great, Mom! Very shiny. You are awesome. Love and miss you more than you could ever imagine!
    Hugs,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.....hey - I have a countertop in my kitchen....at least I used to - wanna come find it for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks pretty! I should go home and do the same thing to my bedroom. Huh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CORI- I can't believe you have a blog and I didn't know until now.. I am so excited! XOXO Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I remember THAT kitchen so well! You were kind enough to share lots of good food and an abundance of love with some young men and women from California who will never forget that kitchen! I'm glad we're friends, Cori. I just love you to bits!

    ReplyDelete