Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Encore...or is that On Cor


K, so I am headed once again into the studio in half an hour to get the final mixes for the Saints on the Seas album done. For a LIVE show it's not too bad. Piecing 9 people's microphones, 11 instruments, journal readings and lively audience response into a palatable piece is a task indeed. Mark Stephenson is MUCH more patient than I. After ten hours in the studio yesterday (on 4 hours of sleep the night before) I was HAMMERED! Hard to listen clearly under such taxing personal conditions. But what a BLAST to be back in the studio!

Our ENCORE performance of Saints on the Seas is this Friday...like 2 days from now...Eeeek! Details:

Saints on the Seas - a Musical Journey of Faith

Friday, Sept 26, 2008

8:00 pm

Tickets $8 available at http://www.coriconnors.com/ or at the door

Jefferson Hall 2604 Jefferson Ave OGDEN UT


I love doing this show. I'm not sure if its that I love the stories of my ancestors, both by faith and by blood, or if it is that I get to play music with people I love. Probably both. Last night at midnight I was listening through our day's work and each voice just made me tingle: Johnny's wonderful vocal and guitar style on The Leaving of Liverpool (I love singing harmonies with my son!) Tom's great edgy rendition of Haul Away Joe and Gael's lively hammers bouncing off the strings of her dulcimer next to him; Carla standing right next to me and feeling in tune with her, musically and otherwise--she is truly a sister-friend. And that Dave Eskelsen--he's gentle and steady and strong...on guitar, in his voice, and really, in every other way! Then of course there is one of my favorite all-time-people, Mark Robinette, whose talent is exceeded only by his kindness and great humor! His daughter Maura is getting married today and Judge Dave gets to marry them! (and I get to sing!) I can't believe Maura is this old. And what a great companion she has!

Last night (very late) I was typing up things for the CD cover and I realized what a family affair this project is! I love to hear Dave's voice in the narration. It comforts me, and I don't even care what it is he is saying! And my sister Libby does all the video work and reads one entry on the CD because the entry (read by Gael in the show) had too much distortion in the microphone on the live show. And my niece-in-love Katie Riggs Hansen is the other narrator. Before Katie it was our Kate who read that part, but she had to go and move to Houston! And before Kate, it was our Sarah who read that part, but she had to go and move to Kansas City! Good thing we have a big family! I just love creating together with these people!

So now I'd better go gather my goods and head into the studio! AHOY!

5 comments:

  1. I think that your next CD should be called "Saints Just Wanna Have Fun".

    Love ya,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we were in Utah to hear you sing...maybe one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa and Trev-
    I wish you were in Utah TOO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey...i love the "saints just wanna have fun"! by the way...are we having fun yet?

    seriously....what a great show and album and i cannot believe how much work you have put into this. but the cd sounds great, the show will be fantastic as always and i wish everyone could see it. it is even better than one can imagine. thanks for letting us be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey cori. that cd is beautiful. i am so proud of you. i cant believe that you wrote all that. you really are amazing and i am so lucky to have you in my life- and my kiddies.

    ReplyDelete