Wednesday, July 1, 2009

2 am

Confession:
I have never read a single Harry Potter book.
There, now you know.
And I finally gave myself permission to quit reading the classic "100 Years of Solitude" by Gabrielle Garcia Marquez after wading through something like 972 pages. Just couldn't stay with it, and could not be stirred by it.
I am burdened with a serious case of literary ADD. Essays. Short David Sadaris stories. That's my level of concentration.
The nightstand on my side of the bed is going to come crashing down like an avalanche the next time I put another book/magazine/Internet article printed off at 2 am on top of the pile.
The only thing that consistently holds my interest is ice cream. I know I should learn to feast with my eyes. But very few things are as yummy as ice cream at 2 am.
Except maybe To Kill a Mockingbird.
Maybe I'll give that another read.
Sorry, Harry.

11 comments:

  1. I feel much less like a social outcast knowing that you too have not read the Harry Potter like myself. And to think, I am a teacher! I'm feeling less guilty about it every year. John and Ash convinced/challenged me to read the Harry Potter last year. I am on page 175. If you do it, I'll do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Sedaris is definitely my kind of man...
    but Harry is too! Give it a go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favorite reading is your writing! keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto what Libby said. I tune you in often, especially when I need something important to think about. I guess Harry gives that to others, but not to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I woke up last night at 2:00 AM from a dream. It was the late Billy Mays asking me, "CAN'T GET OUT STAINS FROM YOUR SHIRTS?? USE OXY CLEAN." Billy is on display today about one mile from where I live, so his voice in my dream was very LOUD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cori I think you need to write a song about ice cream at 2am!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, I love your blog - I wander over here every once in awhile from Annie's blog - and I think you are great! What a great writer. Thanks for letting me blog-stalk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, I enjoyed most of Harry Potter- charming and diverting and no work as a read. If you open the books, you'll find that the font pushes the size. But you haven't missed anything that would change your life.

    My Chaz, when she had a chance to pick for our tiny book club, chose Crime and Punishment. Then scheduled a trip to San Francisco over that week. The cheat. So I have given myself permission, after suffering through a self-important and angst ridden (was that Russian literature, perhaps?) thirteen pages, to assume a completely plebeian attitude and go back to reading YA and mysteries.

    Sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy David Sedaris as well. Have you ever tried Barbara Kingsolver's non-fiction? Her collection of essays, "High Tide in Tuscon" and "Small Wonders" are lovely. I'm recommending her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sound a lot like me. Give me a few magazine articles and/or some craft related stuff and I'll read and dream into the wee hours. You're a night owl too - good to know I'm not alone. Love your music!

    ReplyDelete