Sunday, September 6, 2009

ANNIE MAKES ME LAUGH


I'm thinking about Annie at the moment, while I wait for the potatoes to cook. I'm thinking about how she can make me laugh. Like when she was little and Libby was opening a Popsicle and Annie wanted some, so Libby said,"What's the magic word?" And Annie, crawling up on the counter top, paused and thought very seriously, then lifted her eyebrows with complete confidence as she chimed..."BIPPITY, BOPPITY, BOO!"

So now I'm thinking about her sitting with her little Primary kids in church, singing songs. It was someone's birthday, so they were singing one of the three Primary Birthday songs which have been in existence since before I was born...the one that goes like this (imagine the music, you Mormon-ites):

You've had a birthday shout hooray
We'd like to sing to you today
One year older and wiser too
Happy Birthday...to you!

Well right at the point where I put those three little dots, those little dots we all SO OVERUSE in our blog writing...right where those little dots are is where I taught our Primary kids to clap their hands on the downbeat...for emphasis. I think a Primary Chorister must have taught me that when I was little. So Annie is sitting there in her little Ward in Salt Lake City singing along with all the kids and grown-ups and where the singing stops...at the dots...she claps her hands. Of course no one else does.
So they all look at her like..."Hmmmm, we see you are really enthusiastic Sister Merrill!"
She looks around and turns red and smiles, then shrugs her shoulders.

Makes me laugh
Thanks for making me laugh Nanners!

7 comments:

  1. This reminds me of one of The Addam's Family movies where Wednesday says "Pass the salt" and her mother says "What do you say??" And Wednesday answers "NOW".

    Happy Labor Day, Cori. I just serenaded the Bishop of Pittsburgh with Fire & Steel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha sometimes I make me laugh too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pleased that it amuses other people too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love Annie! What a beautiful, fun, happy person to be around!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, such a cute story! Hey, check out my blog, I gave it a makeover and a new viewpoint, and I hope to be writing in it much more frequently now! Love you so much!
    Joseppi

    ReplyDelete
  6. People in the world who I do not know. But do know. How strange. How wonderful.

    About those ellipses - I think I use them, personally, because I am more talking than writing when I commit words to a keyboard. And they take the place of my voice sort of trailing off, that little shrug and apologetic smile.

    We have so many muscles in our faces, and use them in delicate but codified combinations to express things we sometimes don't even know we're feeling. An autistic person cannot read these things, so he or she fastens only on the words said. But what about reading and writing? We have no words at all for these fleeting expressions - no way to describe them or drop them in (emoticons? Pfff). So we are only left with words and punctuation and have to create that intimacy and meaning with them.

    Kinda strange when you think about it -

    ReplyDelete