Friday, March 19, 2010

ECLIPSE


ECLIPSE

I asked the moon to lend her light here
To lend her light, for I was lost
I was lost, and in the darkness
And in the darkness all alone

The moon she answered, I will give you
I will give you what I can
But what I can give is only borrowed
Yes it is borrowed from the sun

But sure the sun will send his light here
Will send his light, near bright as day
Bright as day, I’ll send it on Dear
If you will not get in the way

For what we seek when dark is deepest
When dark is deep, and deep is night
It’s not the moon, it’s our own weakness
Our own weakness blocks the light

So spinning, spinning do we dance here
Do we dance with all that lives
And all that lives, in day or night, Dear
In day or night takes what he gives.

Fiddle Solo

I asked the moon to lend her light here
To lend her light, near bright as day
Bright as day her mirror shines here
If we will not get in the way.






Before I can explain the meaning of this song we need to get one thing straight. I am not a scientist, and what I understand of eclipses is limited, but here’s an explanation of LUNAR ECLIPSES (from Answers.com):

A lunar eclipse occurs when the moon passes behind the earth such that the earth blocks the sun’s rays from striking the moon. This can occur only when the Sun, Earth and Moon are aligned exactly, or very closely so, with the Earth in the middle. Hence, there is always a full moon the night of a lunar eclipse. The type and length of an eclipse depend upon the Moon’s location relative to its orbital nodes. The next total lunar eclipse occurs on December 21, 2010. Unlike a solar eclipse, which can only be viewed from a certain relatively small area of the world, a lunar eclipse may be viewed from anywhere on the night side of the Earth. A lunar eclipse lasts for a few hours, whereas a total solar eclipse lasts for only a few minutes at any given place.

OK, so now I’ll try to explain myself.

First, the basics of form: This is not a story song, as many of my compositions are. It is sort of allegorical;. the moon and the sun representing something more than the moon and the sun. The format is pretty earthy as well, and follows a poetic form where the last words of a line repeat as the first words of the next line. I follow this format generally, though in looking back at it I break from the form sometimes. I probably should have studied the lyric more before I recorded it. Hmmm. The music came in a dream. I am not professing to have been given this pretty average music by some sort of revelation. I just woke up one night from an Appalachian themed dream (I dream a lot and rather vividly) and this music and lyric started evolving.

Anyway, here’s what I mean to say in the lyric, despite its flaws.

I am lost. We’re all lost on some level. I’m lost and it’s dark and I ask for light. I ask the moon.

The moon says, “Sure, I’ll give you light, but you know it’s not my own light. I can only reflect the light of the sun. But the sun is very dependable, He always lets me use his light. The only reason I would not be able to give you the light from the sun is if you get in the way. So don’t get between the sun and me, or I won’t be able to give you light.”

And I, being a selfish human, curse the moon when he does not give me light, when in actuality it is me getting in the way that is the problem.

Of course there is a spiritual analogy here. I have a flash-back memory of myself sitting in the front of the row in my English class, raising my hand to explain what Keates or Browning or Frost or Milton could have meant in their poems. There’s usually something more if you are willing to find it.

So here’s the something more: We curse the source of Light for not providing, for leaving us in darkness. The truth is, the light is always there. We just turn away from it, like the earth rotating away from the sun. But even in the turning away He provides light, through the reflection of the moon. If there is ever a time of total darkness it comes because we have chosen it, consciously or unconsciously. Our weaknesses, our sins, our faithlessness, our doubt…they all put us between the source of Light and the Reflection of the Source. We curse God, when in truth he is constant. I could have taken the story further and reminded us that there are always stars to give some light regardless of where we stand. But that’s too much, too deep, too far for the simple message I wanted to put in this song.

If I am in emotional or spiritual darkness, if I am feeling loveless, lightless, hopeless, it is likely because I am getting in the way of the Lord showering his light on me. My task, then, is to find a way…to get out of the way.

2 comments:

  1. Well done. I have dreamed three songs. One, I lost. Two went on my children's albums, years ago. Now, I don't hold music anymore - I remember singing my kids songs that really went together pretty brilliantly, because they were all coming at one time - music, lyric - all structured and clever and clear. I couldn't have done them a second time if I'd covered my head in ashes. But I remember having done them, and the looks on the faces of the kids as they listened to the stream flow. And that was enough.

    ReplyDelete