Wednesday, February 13, 2013

LENT BEGINS: 1,000 WORDS

A PICTURE IS WORTH 1,000 WORDS.
So said someone.  A couple sites attribute it to Napoleon Bonaparte. Other's say it's an old Chinese proverb.  Still another credits an auto company advertising on the side of a streetcar in San Francisco about 100 years ago.  For me personally the concept was born through the mellow voice of David Gates and the musical group, Bread, when I was a young teenager. It's one of the first songs I learned on guitar in 8th grade:
If a picture paints a thousand words, then why can't I paint you....
(I miss Bread.)
Today begins the Lenten season for 2013. I don't wear ashes on my forehead, though I appreciate the practice by faithful Catholics. I have, however, for the last number of years felt driven to offer my own form of personal sacrifice in preparation for the Easter season.  Rather than omit certain sins or questionable practices, I have chosen to commit to practice goodness with more pure intent.  I begin each day with prayer (not just during Lent, I might add) and in that prayer I ask for the Lord to direct my thoughts and actions.  The thoughts during the Lenten season lead to words which I publish daily during the 40+ days of Lent, right here on my blog.  It has become a sort of personal history, of interest likely only to my children or their children down the road, when they wonder what their strange old grandmother was like once upon a time.  I figure when we write with creativity and purpose, we cannot NOT reveal our true selves.  And so, here I am, I suppose.
In years past I have used random words as daily  jumping-off points.  And I've written backstories of many of my songs in other years. This year I have chosen to use, as the springboard for my daily writing exercises, photos from my personal library.  Many of them are from my iPhone.  A few may be old and scanned in to my computer, stored in my digital library.  But most will be current, something from my recent life. 
I apologize in advance that many will likely deal with the passing of my mother, less than 6 months ago.  I have not documented the feelings and events of that passage.  I have a number of pictures, and my heart still grieves deeply.  So, while I have elected to share my writing in this blog, it may include my own attempt to process and may be of little value to anyone but me.
I will try to keep my entries to 1,000 words or less.  It's a good challenge for me as I tend to ramble on.
Now to visit my large library of jpegs.  See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. so grateful for you committment and thrilled that the season has begun. (for many reasons) looking forward to savoring your words. much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! This is my favorite time of year because of the lent posts!!! It makes me feel close to home even though I'm so far away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in a store the other day and was shocked to see the Easter candy on display. But my next immediate thought was "yea! That means Aunt Cori's Lent writings will hopefully begin soon!"
    You make me love this season even more. Looking forward to your beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy I found your blog (due to Annie's FB post)!! I am so looking forward to reading it every day! Miss you and love you.

    ReplyDelete