Wednesday, February 20, 2013

PICTURES THAT NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN

I have a photo album, somewhere around here, that is filled with less than flattering pictures.  It began with a photo Dave took of my mom and me when we lived in Pittsburgh.  We were both adults, Mom and I. Dave had graduated from law school, filled a federal circuit court clerkship in New York for a year, and had taken a position with a firm in Pittsburgh.  We moved back with our two kids and mom lived with us.  The photo is of mom and me leaning over the fireplace hearth; a butt shot, so to speak. It's just lovely. It's so lovely, in fact, that we giggled every time we saw it.  It's not the kind of shot you want in the photo album you might put on the coffee table.  But I didn't want to rip it up, because it was good for a laugh, and there are so few things in life that can guarantee a good clean giggle.  So we bought a small photo album and labeled it:
PICTURES THAT NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN.
I've gotta find it!
Now adays we hardly ever actually develop a photo, on paper.  We store them in our little portable machines until we make the little machines attach their techno-umbilical cords to the big machine and transfer the photos to the computer.  I need to make a file on the computer with the same label.
 
Last night we were at Libby's house watching the downer of a season finale of Downton Abby with Lib and Sherry.  I got a message from Kate about the Lent writing which has already been published this year right here on this blog.  She alluded, in very sweet words, to the sober and oft times sad nature of the posts.  So I decided, in an effort to lighten things up a bit, to publish (at great risk to my stellar reputation for stunning grace and beauty), the first installment in my new photo library file of

PICTURES THAT NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN:

There you go.  Yuppers.  I took it so I could show Libby my new perm.  This was a year ago.  Don't you think I look like John Goodman?  It makes me laugh.  It makes Libby laugh.  I like to think of Libby laughing.
Lisa has to really damage my hair to give it body, and this is what it looks like when it's just done, air dried, and brushed out without a curling iron taken to it. I think it's a dandy angle too, don't you?
True confessions.
I've lost 100 lbs since then. But I can still get the same lovely look after Lisa perms my hair. 
 
I think I might regret posting this.
 
 
Nah. 

4 comments:

  1. Yup, I'm laughing! Get's me everytime! It's a keeper, right along with the butt shots. And if I'm not mistaken, I think Sue's butt is in that shot too.

    ps you should see my passport photo. it looks just as good as your john goodman pic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to think of it maybe that butt shot is Sue and me, or Sue and Mom. I wonder where it is. Better start a big dig!

      Delete