Wednesday, February 18, 2015

LENT 2015 BEGINS

In the liturgical Christian world yesterday was known as Fat Tuesday.  Shrove Tuesday. The last Hurrah before Ash Wednesday.  It is also known as Pancake Tuesday. Pancakes were traditionally eaten on the day before Ash Wednesday because they were a way to use up eggs, milk, and sugar before the fasting season of the 40+ days of Lent. The “fasting” during Lent emphasizes eating plainer food and refraining from "pleasurable" foods such as meat, dairy and eggs. Many people "give something up" during Lent as a way to prepare for Easter, the most holy of holidays. It’s not always food.
As a Mormon, this practice is not a part of my religion or culture, but as a Christian I find the practice inspiring and compelling, so seven years ago I started a Lenten practice.  Each day of Lent, beginning on Ash Wednesday, I pause from the demands of the day and reflect.  The reflection is not passive, and requires some degree of energy because I command myself to write.  It really is a sacrifice for me, and often takes more time than anyone might imagine. I have seen great benefit in this exercise.  I have memories I had not realized were tucked into my brain.  And I have been able to preserve those memories by giving them voice.  I choose to share them on my blog because sharing it requires a certain accountability.
This year, for the season of Lent, I have chosen to share recipes.  Along with the recipes there may be a story or two about the yumminess in my life.  And trust me, there is considerable yumminess. Post 1 follows.


No comments:

Post a Comment