Friday, March 6, 2015

16. MUSHIE PARKER'S GRANOLA

Baby Johnny did not like to sleep. I'm not sure if it was that he didn't like to sleep, if something was keeping him awake, or if he just didn't want to miss. Looking at his life now, I think it was good training for his job as National Director for the Color Run.  He generally begins setting up races in various cities throughout the country right about the time I am drifting off to sleep.

When he was a new baby none of us got much sleep. Colic, the beast of the belly, kept him a'wiggling and writhing. Poor boy.  We tried everything we could think of in those days before Google and Gripe Water. Mostly it was my job to be conscious of with what went into the milk factory, since I was the milk factory.  At some point I figured out that chocolate, and onion and other root vegetables, were enemies to our need for sleep. And so out they went.

This all made me kind of grumpy. Have you tried going off all these things cold turkey?  With post natal hormones in full swing?  And sleep deprivation, coupled with insane work and school schedules? If you haven't, don't!

Anyway, during that time of no therapeutic chocolate in my life, I glommed on to a couple replacement items to fill the sugar gap.  One of them was Vanilla Ice Cream Soup with granola.

Ice Cream Soup is simply ice cream scooped into a bowl or a mug, covered barely with milk, and mushed up together with a fork.  Replace the fork with a spoon and slurp it up.  It's really quite yummy with good home made granola.

The best granola recipe I have is from the other grandma to Sophie, Parker, Ruby and Walt.  Marsha Parker is a jewel of a person, very comfortable and easy to be with. So is her husband, Jared. How lucky is that, to have in-laws who would be friends even if they didn't have to be? Everything I've ever eaten at Mushie's house has been delish.  She served this granola in a giant glass jar at Ashley's baby shower last year, along with all sorts of other magnificent breakfast fare. Mmmmmm.

I'm gonna start calling her Mmmmmmmmm-ushie!

Granola 

12 c oatmeal

2 c brown sugar

3 c raw shaved coconut (buy at sprouts or whole foods in the bulk section)

1 tsp salt

2 TB. Cinnamon

Mix well

Mix wet ingredients and pour over

1 c canola oil

2/3 c. Water

1/2 c. Pure maple syrup

1-2 TB vanilla

Optional 2c. Nuts

I like sliced almonds

Or you can add pumpkin seeds cashews etc
Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Divide granola between the two.
Bake @ 250 for 2 1/2 hours
I put both cookie sheets in the same oven and trade them after one hour 15 min. Works great in my oven.
Cool and place in glass jar with tight lid or ziploc bags.

Enjoy

2 comments: