Tuesday, March 21, 2017

19. SEVEN

Cori Hansen at seven years old: 
Favorite color – blue-green.
Favorite food – I don’t remember.
Favorite song – don’t remember either.
Favorite number – 7.
The number seven has always felt sacred to me. Maybe it’s because we had seven kids in our family. Maybe something about the seven days of creation resonates with me. 3 and 7 are my magic numbers. I think it’s perfectly fitting that they are both odd.

My friend Margaret, who teaches me life lessons while she teaches me how to sew every week, does seven push-ups every night. After her nightly prayers, while she is down there on her knees beside her bed, she just lays her body in the prone position, like a priest in prayer, and does her seven push-ups. Margaret is 92 years old.

I got curious about why seven is sort of my number, so I Googled it and here are a few things a Numerology site had to say about the number:
The number 7 is the seeker, the thinker, the searcher of Truth (notice the capital "T"). The 7 doesn't take anything at face value -- it is always trying to understand the underlying, hidden truths. The 7 know
s that nothing is exactly as it seems and that reality is often hidden behind illusions.

Well, OK, that works. Ask anyone in my family; everything is symbolic to me. There is deeper meaning in pretty much EVERYTHING! Usually, when I try to ponder the deeper meaning in everything, I end up dozing off, and I find the deeper meaning in deep slumber. No lie.

And then there’s this, from the Numerology site:
There is a dry, usually misunderstood sense of humor to the 7, yet he is unable to remember a single joke. He is not jovial and never superficial. He has excellent taste and a natural love and understanding of art. He dislikes and completely ignores fashion, and is attracted to eccentric, unpopular people. The popular "beautiful" but shallow people bore him to no end. He is not usually interested in politics but has a strong sense of justice. 
I do love a good joke, and particularly admire the dry wit that comes out in conversation with intelligent and creative people. And that part about never being able to remember a joke? 99% true. The only joke I can ever remember is that one about the two guys hobbling toward each other in the Veterans Memorial Park. It’s one of those jokes that requires actions, so I won’t try to recount it here. But it is sadly the only joke I can ever remember. I do have a passion for art, and artists, and though I have by default had to run a few political campaigns, I don’t love politics and do love justice. I think it’s interesting that my husband started his public service with politics as city councilman and mayor, and evolved toward pure justice as a state court judge. He’s kind of sevenish himself. And I kind of do find myself gravitating toward quirky people, probably because I am one, but I don’t dislike fashion and I don’t consider anyone I know shallow, and as long as someone will communicate I promise they do not bore me…ever!
Then there’s this: 
The 7 is physically lanky and tall, but not athletic and doesn't care about sports. 
Uhhhh…. Tall and lanky?
I do like my Pittsburgh Pirates though, and any game one of my treasures is playing in.
 Finally, there’s this little paragraph:
The 7 is spiritual, but not religious. In fact, the age-old questions of what life is all about, why am I here, who am I, and so forth, never reach the status of clichés, but are essential to the 7's life-experience, and unless he finds the answers he will not stop looking for them until he dies.
Yup, I am spiritual. I do have those questions in my soul: who am I and where did I come from and where am I going when I am done? But here’s the thing: I think there are answers to those questions and I have some of them. And I’m not even dead. If I don’t have answers it’s not because I don’t think they exist. I just don’t know them yet.
Mostly I plug along on faith, based on the restored gospel Jesus authored. This pretty much puts me in the “religious” category. Not very much about my life is absolute knowledge. I think, for instance, that when I go get in my car this afternoon it will start, and will drive me to Timo’s band concert in Herriman. I don’t know for a fact that my car will work, but we take care of it, and give it fuel and oil, and it has proven in the past to be dependably faithful. I will be shocked if I go out and it doesn’t start. Just like I will be totally shocked if I die and there is nothing after this life that is organized and exciting. I can’t yet say I know, but I believe, based on experience and the feelings of my heart. And though I do pretty faithfully adhere to my religious sect, I continue to ask myself those foundational questions, because it is important for my spirit to be continually reinforced. That’s nature, I think, and God knows it. That’s probably partly why He offers us the sacrament weekly.

I am of divine origin. There is some sort of energy, a being I call Father, who has sincere interest in me and my spiritual success. I belong with Him, and Her, and the rest of the team that supports me. That’s my core belief. And here’s another cool thing; you do not have to believe the same thing. You don’t have to agree with me. I will still find you interesting, and will want to know your quirks, and if you are at all interested I will offer you the one and only joke I can ever remember.

1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness for this 7 in my life. So grateful we are on the same team!! Love this!!

    ReplyDelete