Saturday, March 17, 2012

23. IMPOSTER

Maybe it’s just me.  Maybe it’s my own kind of insecurity.  Or maybe everyone else is good at faking it.  Maybe I’m not the only fake.

Not “fake’ in the sense of being untrue to people, like the girls in school we called fakes, who were two faced and undependable. 
And certainly not fake in the sense that I look lovely on the outside and pure rotten on the inside.  My outsides to not make a nice façade.

What I mean is that, more often than not, I find myself doing something, and maybe even being kind of successful at it, and right when I am about at the height of the thrill of it that little voice pops into my head that says, “Cut it out, Cori.  You know you’re just an imposter!”

I hate that voice. In reality it must be a love/hate because I listen to it.  If I really hated it I would send it away.  Then again, maybe I don’t really love it; maybe I just believe it. Credible, just not lovable. Like my high school basketball coach. He believed in me enough to pick me for the team, but not enough to play me. Love/hate.

I have this battle all the time.  Daily, and nightly.  When I am wearing different hats, or no hat at all.

On the stage:
With that voice echoing in my head I step back from myself, see the sparkle dim in my eyes, watch my head fall and my voice soften.  My fingers fumble against the guitar strings and I start to think about my size rather than my song and then I just want to tell everyone thank you for coming and sorry I took your time and you can have your money back.

At my desk:  

I’m feeling the swirl of images falling freely as my fingers tap the keyboard and the muse is flowing. I stop mid sentence, looking for the right words, hear a small distant laughter.  I pause to listen as, rising like a chant, a large full voiced chorus of condescension finds my eardrum: “Seriously, shouldn’t you be doing something more useful like cleaning your bedroom? Or planting a garden? You only THINK you’re a writer.  What you’re really doing is avoiding doing what you should be doing cuz you don’t really want to do it. Get your room clean and THEN see if you’re a writer.”  That’s when the images stop coming and my fingers fumble again and my words turn two dimensional and flat. Like they are now.

At my stove:

I stir my soup, confident that I know how to simmer a chicken till its tender, strain the broth till its clear, add the right proportion of flavors and vegetables and the juice of one whole lemon, and at what point to add the noodles.  I know all this stuff.  Still, when I took a pot to my sick neighbor a few days ago I walked out doubting myself. “I forgot to taste it,” I told my sister as we walked down the sidewalk.  Beat myself for ignoring a primary rule of cooking in my impostor kitchen. “It’s probably too bland.”

Where I worship:

I stand at the pulpit, or in front of my sisters-in-the-gospel, and testify with all my heart.  Truly my whole heart.  And the next week I tell myself I must not have meant it.  I must have been caught in the peak of a performance and was only faking that kind of unabashed belief.  I lift my hand and allow myself to take the bread and sip the water because I hope the Lord will forgive the impostor until she stops faking. 

Lord, I believe. Help thou mine unbelief.

I guess, to survive, I just keep going back to that place in me who thinks that her God knows her better than she knows herself.  I hope He knows what he’s doing…what I’m doing…cuz I’m tellin’ ya…I don’t! Mostly I only know what I’ve done. 

Maybe, when I think about it…maybe the “what we’ve done" part doesn’t even matter all that much.  How interesting would that be! Maybe there is no accounting for what we have done, in the literal sense.  Maybe that stack of checked boxes…the “what I have done’s” only serves the purpose of making us who we have become.

The do’s lead to the be’s.

And maybe…my, there are a lot of maybe’s in this little self analysis…maybe when I’ve figured out what the “be” is supposed to be, I can forget about the “do’s” I’ve been faking.  Maybe I have to be looking back before I am allowed to stop feeling like an imposter.   

8 comments:

  1. I despise those voices. They are mean and false and destructive! Please chase them away. They . have no place in your head. Your heart. Your soul.

    You have been blest with a gift and we are the lucky recipients. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have those same voices too sometimes but you have got to know hiw amazing you are mom! In one of my religion classes i read a quote that really stood out to me. It said Satan's goal is to destroy sacred relationships. We always think of that as marriages and family members and even our relationship with God. But i think one if his most effective tools is attacking our relationship with ourselves. Be as forgiving and loving with yourself as you are with others. I have to remind myself of this a lot. You are so talented at so many things mom! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Nanners-
      Thank you for your tenderness. Your kind uplifting words and spiritual insight moves me to tears.
      I love you MTYCEI!
      m.

      Delete
  3. You have a very wise daughter Cori. I know you didn't write this fishing compliments but you should know that that I believe everyone feels like this sometimes. We all fake it till we make it and it's OK. Just try not to be hard on yourself because you have so many wonderful people in your life who adore you and you are incredibly talented or you wouldn't have had the success or touched all the lives that you have.

    Trust God's love. God don't make no junk. :)
    "God does not look on the outward appearance. 8 I believe that He doesn’t care one bit if we live in a castle or a cottage, if we are handsome or homely, if we are famous or forgotten. Though we are incomplete, God loves us completely. Though we are imperfect, He loves us perfectly. Though we may feel lost and without compass, God’s love encompasses us completely.

    He loves us because He is filled with an infinite measure of holy, pure, and indescribable love. We are important to God not because of our résumé but because we are His children. He loves every one of us, even those who are flawed, rejected, awkward, sorrowful, or broken. God’s love is so great that He loves even the proud, the selfish, the arrogant, and the wicked."

    www.lds.org/general-conference/2009/10/the-love-of-god?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment, Becky. And thank you for the reminders.
      This blog becomes a little too exposing I guess. I am not overburdened with self doubt. Just a continual creep. Your advice is beautiful and much appreciated.
      Big, big hugs!
      Cori

      Delete
  4. Imposter? Never! Your writings ring with crystal clear truths. How else would you bring so many of us to tears if our hearts were not touched by your magical phrases and actions. Thank you for just being you and no one else. Much love.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my beloved seestor! When I forget to believe in myself, I'll remember you believe in me.

      Delete