I sat on the edge of my bed,
still in my pajamas, though it was mid-afternoon. Exhausted from the emotional treadmill I’d
been racing on, I could not pull myself from watching the television coverage
of the tragedy in the east; a plane thrust like a dart into the Pentagon;
another hurled into the ground in a vacant western Pennsylvania field, and
still more, unbelievably shot straight into the massive pillars of steel known
as the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York City. I had watched
the second plane disappear into the second tower, a scene not wholly unfamiliar
on a television screen in an era of dynamic special effects. I had to tell my
brain that this was not make believe, that I did not have to pretend to be
terrified.
I sat there, my toes curled into
the nap of the carpet, my arms folded in front of me as if to shelter my
heart. They were perfectly situated, my
arms, for repeated prayer.
The news coverage went
frenetically from newsroom to street scene to shots from the sky then back to
the studio. I remember calling each member of my family. I suppose I needed the comfort of hearing
their voices. I worried about my kids in
school. I wanted Dave to come home. And I would have driven myself over to Mom and
Libby’s condo but I couldn’t pull myself from the television. We stitched
ourselves together by phone instead.
At one point a reporter was
interviewing people waiting in line outside of New York City hospitals. There was a surreal silence and feeling of
order in those lines. You could almost
hear the breathing through the stunned silence.
“I just need to find my daughter.
Someone said my daughter would be here.
I need to find her.” They did not
know then that there were very few people taken to hospitals from the tragic
event. If they did not walk out on their
own, they were sent to heaven as little specks of dust. I imagine the masses of souls at heaven’s gate. I never imagine sadness there at the front
steps of heaven. There is always just
happy. The sad is held down by gravity.
Every person the reporter
interviewed was crying, except for one woman who looked to be in her 40’s or 50’s. I can still hear her voice, calm and
pleasant, like she was talking about the tomatoes she was planning on planting
in her garden next year.
“I’m looking for my husband. I just need to know if he’s OK. If he’s dead, then I know he’s OK. If he’s not, then I need to be with him.” She smiled, and turned back to her place in line.
I hear her voice a lot; calm, and matter of fact, though not without feeling. I hear
her when I get panicky; when I feel like the sky is falling or I will cease to
breathe for fear of something happening.
I hear her, and I want to be her.
We were scheduled to perform the
Saints on the Seas Oratorio I had written with Kurt Bestor at New York’s Madison
Square Garden a few weeks later. We had just returned from performances in
England a month before, where we saw seven large tall ships set sail from their
British ports, planning to meet them when they arrived in the US. The Seatrek event was commemorating the
crossing of LDS converts 150 years before. I had been commissioned to write
songs and scripts for the oratorio. The
massive white sails of those ships came quietly into the New York harbor, the
air still thick with smoke and debris, so that the setting sun was brilliant
and strangely beautiful behind the sheets of billowing white. The concert was
cancelled. But I did visit New York that
next spring with my daughter Kate and her high school Madrigals group. We trekked over to the hole in the ground
where the towers once stood. We saw
weathered posters, handmade signs begging for information on people missing
after the attack. We left untouched the
small winter-worn stuffed animals tucked into the corners of plywood walls,
little shrines of candles burnt down and wickless. We walked past them slowly, quietly,
reverently, soberly. We gathered, two dozen high school seniors and some
parents and teachers, at the temporary wooden platform overlooking the haunting
gaping hole. Ms. McGuire lifted her chin.
She didn’t need to even raise her hands.
These kids had been following her lead for a full year. She raised her
chin, then lowered it on the down beat and their voices rang in perfect four
part harmony there at that holy spot:
Oh say can you see by the dawns
early light
What so proudly we hailed at the
twilight’s last gleaming….
I’m glad, despite the tremendous
financial loss it represents, that they chose not to replace the twin
towers. Some holes cannot, and should
not, be filled.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your name following your comment. Comments will appear after moderation in order to keep spam out of this blog. Thank you for commenting!