The
girls lined up like soldiers, each with a gun pointed to the ground in their
right hands, their blue jeans covered in dust from an early morning hike, their
hair pulled back in pony tails, and no sign of makeup in sight. They were
beautiful, standing there in a royal line parallel to the fence. Along the
fence top were strategically placed soda pop cans, their shiny aluminum colors
reflecting the intense summer sun. I watched from the window, washing up the dishes
from breakfast, while Sheri instructed them. Petite, feminine Sheri who wore
gauzy flowing dresses on Sunday, her jet black hair flowing down her back. It
might surprise most of our congregation to see her now, in her boots and jeans
and leather belt. Sheri is a woman of immense and diverse talent, who is just
as comfortable slinging muck around the stable as she is dressing a table with
fine linens and a scrumptiously elegant feast. I looked down, scrubbing the
bacon grease off the griddle in the sink, and was quickly startled by the
pop-pop-pop of gunfire and the ting-ting-ting of ammunition hitting those pop
cans. I continued to watch from the window and the girls looked to their left,
then their right, waiting until every gun was laid down on the ground. Then
they moved up to the fence and re-set the cans for another round. I scanned the
collection of souls out there on the dry Idaho ground outside Sheri’s cabin. I
watched them, one by one, lift their weapon to their shoulders, their eyes
focused on the target. One by one I offered silent prayers with their individual
names attached. Twenty-seven souls given to my care as Young Women’s President
in our ward of Latter-day Saints. I knew their names my rote, having repeated
them in prayer often. I loved them deeply, and danced the dance of confidence
and worry that every adult dances with their teenagers. I was impressed with
their ability to hit those targets. Really impressed!
Later
that day, when the girls were occupied with other things, I shuffled out to the
fence with a couple of my advisors, friends of my same vintage. Most of them
had experience shooting, but I had never in my life held a gun, and I was
curious. “I doubt that I’ll ever again have the opportunity to shoot a gun,” I
said to myself, so Sheri took me out there with Shauna and Suzanne. She showed
me how to load, and cock, and I did all that as instructed. The other ladies
got to talking and shooting, their pop cans flying into the air one after the
other. I, in the meantime, have no idea where my bullets were going, but none
of them were finding their way to those pop cans!
“Man,”
I whispered to Suz, “I’m really bad at this!”
She
paused and watched me for a minute. Then she casually asked if I was using my
sight.
“Well,
maybe my contact is messed up, but I think I can see OK.”
“No,
she laughed, “I mean the gun sight. Are you using the gun sight?”
Having
zero experience with guns, I told her I had no idea if I was using it or not.
Suzanne put down her gun and stood beside me, showing me that sweet little appendage
on the rifle that told me I was aligned correctly. I situated the front of the
gun so that it was centered in the site with the target at the other end.
“OK,”
says Suzanne, “Go ahead and shoot. Ding Ding! By golly, that bullet sent
straight to that pop can and it flew off the fence just like I was Matt Dillon
on Gunsmoke!
“Yee
Haw!” I yelped, and the other ladies joined me. Over and over I lined up that
machine in the tiny little sight on top of that gun, and over and over I hit my
target. It was immensely empowering. I felt a great sense of gratitude that my
girls got to experience that kind of empowerment as well.
That
was a handful of years ago now. Some of those girls are married now, and my job
in the church is to lead music with an irresistibly charming group of Primary
kids. But those Young Women will forever be mine, in a sacred sort of way.
This
weekend is a blessed time for those of us who are believers in the restored
gospel of Jesus Christ. We call it General Conference weekend, a time when we
are instructed and inspired by our church leaders. I know my faith is alive and
functioning because I actually desire to hear from them.
Today,
as I listened and watched, my mind returned to that mountainside in Southern
Idaho and that little army of young women lined up in front of the fence line.
I thought about how hard it was for me to hit my target before I understood how
to shoot, how to use all that was available for me to be successful in reaching
my target. It was confirmed to me by the silent inspirer that dwells inside my
brain that this bi-annual conference is the setting of my spiritual sights,
reminding me to align my daily life with that firmly and accurately and strategically
placed sight that God put on the machine of my life. And I was reminded that I
needed also to keep my eye on the targets in my life: the good targets I want
to protect, and other targets from which I need to protect myself and my
family. The likelihood of my success is greatly heightened when I use the sights
that God has placed in my life. I can shoot over and over, thinking I see
exactly where I am aiming. But, I’ve discovered by parables learned and lived,
that the key is divine alignment.


Powerful words and yes Conference was empowering for us as well. Lucky young women to be guided by you!
ReplyDelete