Every Wednesday I pick up my four-year-old granddaughter Tessa from pre-school, then drive her to ballet class. Afterwards she spends the rest of the day with me. Sometimes I get giddy on Tuesday night when I am getting ready for bed and start thinking about what I need to do the next day, then I realize it will be my Tessa Day!
| Tess dressed herself for ballet this day. |
| "And then the caterpillar became a butterfly." |
Tess shouted from her car seat behind me: "You mean Jesus died on FIRST FRIDAY? That is so cool! I LOVE First Fridays!"
I repeat...Tessy is four. This spirit-body-life-death stuff is for sure pretty complex and confusing. Four-year-olds learn to disregard info that is overwhelming and focus on what they can understand. To her, there was mention of a first Friday, not Good Friday, and to her First Friday is the day she and her siblings get to sleep over at Gummy and Gumpa's.
| Sometimes we hold whole conversations with only the words "Meow." |
Good Friday can get heavy and sorrowful to me, if I let myself go there. I can feel the physical and emotional pain of the Lord I have come to love. And I can really empathize with the emotions of the women who loved him and saw him suffer and die. I imagine the confusion of the masses of followers, confused that he did not save himself the way he had saved so many others. I have stopped myself from going so deep I cannot lift out of it. (Empathy can be so distressing. My Annie suffers from an excessive amount of empathy. She's Tessa's mom.) Tessa is teaching me, in her innocence, to bathe in the joy as much as I cover myself with compassion and empathy. We need joy. I need joy! Not just the prospect of joy. I need to find some portion of it in the moment.
| Her dress is on backwards, and inside out, and she is full of joy! |
I recognize that earthly life is a pendulous experience. We must have opposition in all things. It does not only mean good must counterbalance evil. It also means light counterbalances darkness, laughter provides equal weight against sadness, truth swings with even measure against falsehood. Like the pendulum on the clock in our entry hall, the pendulum swings back and forth, back and forth, and this moves time forward. Perhaps in the next realm we will not need that counterbalance, because we will not need time... but that is getting old-lady-deep and today I seek joy!
I've discovered that most often joy comes to me when I recognize the bounty that surrounds and embraces me and mine. It's literally everywhere. I cannot move through a day and not be effected by it. Running water, electricity at our fingertips, cars, roofs over our heads, friends and family to share energy and communicate... So much. SO much! When I start naming in my head the wonders of my daily existence, simple things, I find joy starting to bubble up through the heaviness.
When I think of Jesus saying "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do, I think that he was not just talking about the people in front of him. He was also talking about me. He jumped out of himself and his agony and into his deeper purposes. He came to save. He came to save even those who did not realize they need to be saved. None of us really know what we are doing.
This Good Friday I have determined to let myself acquire a bit of my Tess. Think of this as First Friday. He got to go to His Father's house for a long sleep-over.
Whatever emotions come to me, or to you, this day, I honor Him in my joy and sorrow. He could not have been raised had he not first died.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your name following your comment. Comments will appear after moderation in order to keep spam out of this blog. Thank you for commenting!