I met her years ago when my daughters played comp softball. I probably even yelled at her then as she made quick and unapologetic calls in her blue umpire uniform behind home plate. Now she is one of my blessed sisters whose fellowship I feel in Christ as we worship in the same ward together. I now know the gentler, vulnerable part of her, the part that is humble before her Lord and embracing rather than competitive. She is warm and funny and devoted.
Chris has a can-do attitude, which is refreshing. Life has thrown her some pretty nasty curve balls, and she keeps swinging, even if she knows she’s going to go down doing it.
We were laughing on the phone today and she was lamenting the fact that she doesn’t handle falling as well as she used to. “I’m not rolling right.” Part of being good at using your body in sports is knowing how to roll when you fall. I’ve been pondering this lately, wishing I had learned and practiced the concept. Chris has developed instinct to respond the minute she starts falling. She told me about the time they were driving to Denver and a deer ran out into the road in front of them. Her son made fun of her because she instantly, as soon as the deer appeared, put her hands on the dashboard and her head down while simultaneously calling out; “Oh, here we go!” She defended her response by saying you have to train yourself to relax and go with it rather than stiffening up. “You stiffen up and you’re gonna get hurt. First rule of falling.”
In less than three weeks life in our home is going to make a big shift. Dave is retiring from the bench. I’m happy for Dave, though I do have real worries about his self-definition and such. But I am also worried about me. My rhythm is going to shift, for sure. The whole flow of this household is bracing for a shake-up. I have a feeling I need to keep repeating Chris’ words in my head. I need to understand that we have the ability to roll with whatever comes rather than needing a clear picture of what’s coming.
I am taking upon myself the Chris Lindstrom mantra. I’m going to steady my breathing, jot down some notes to clear my fuzzy brain space, avoid pre-determining the outcome, and physically smile. I’m learning from Chris.
I am counting my uncountable blessings, the first being that I actually really like the guy who will be invading my private space. I am imagining myself being as gentle with his shifted situation as he always seems to be with mine.
Ready,
or not…
OH, HERE WE GO!

Off we go to the next chapter. Sure wish we could be with you to celebrate his incredible soul❤️
ReplyDeleteI have no doubt you two will find your rhythm in retirement. I loved those days in our home. It makes it easier when you both do your own hobbies and then come together to enjoy some together! You two are awesome. And wise. And fun. And loving. And we’ll just about perfect in every way. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteAnd once again Anonymous is the default here. That has changed. It always used to let me use my google account and my name as default.
ReplyDelete