Friday, February 16, 2024

2024/3 BUDDY TAPE


A couple weeks ago I slammed my toe into a large box of laundry soap when I was rushing to get into the shower. The toe ended up perpendicular to the rest of my toes. It looked pretty surreal. Knowing it was probably out of alignment I quickly pulled it up out of the socket and back into place. A short shower later I hobbled out to the freezer, grabbed a bag of frozen vegetables and planted my poor foot up above my heart wrapped in a bag of frozen corn. It’s been hurting ever since. So yesterday I finally went to get it checked out because it was still swollen, bruised and hurt like heck. I just wanted to be sure that it wasn’t healing out of alignment. Turns out it is broken and its situated correctly to do its healing. All I need to do, besides take care of it, is tape it to the healthy toes next to it. Actually, these days they use a dandy little Velcro thingymabobber.

So, this morning I am thinking about how grateful I am that there is a healthy toe or two next to my broken one. And, because pretty much everything is symbolic, I am also thinking about the people in my life who allow me to buddy tape myself to them when I need to heal. 

I’ve noticed that the healthy toes get a bit irritated at the closeness. Still, they let themselves be the steady. Gosh, I’m grateful for a few healthy toes. 

And I sure feel blessed by more than a few healthy people who hold me close when I need them.


3 comments:

  1. Oh sweet friend! I’m right there with you, broken toe and all! (A heavy tent box fell off a garage shelf on mine..). I love your similitude. It eases some of the discomfort, doesn’t it! And I too, love the closeness and caring individuals who circle the wagons, or the toes! It’s a gift for me!!!! (As are you!💕)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so sorry about your broken toe. You do so amazingly facing the junk in life. May you heal quickly and know how much we love Lent through YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you considered that, maybe, just maybe, that you are a healthy toe in the crooked and broken life of others?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name following your comment. Comments will appear after moderation in order to keep spam out of this blog. Thank you for commenting!