Monday, March 24, 2025

ALERT! (2025-17)


I was walking my class of guitar students through the process of switching between F and C chords when everyone's cell phones began blaring a high pitched warning, pulsing against the table where our phones rested. The warning shook us from our focus.

"Sounds like either and Amber of Silver Alert," I said, as we each reached for our phones or looked at messages scrolled across the black faces of Apple watches on their wrists. 

"You know," I continued, "this sure can disrupt what everyone is doing, can't it?"

They all agreed.

"One woke me up at 4 am the other night," I continued, "and its tough to fall back to sleep afterwards."

It could really be annoying.

But only for a second, because when I hear that blaring warning, I am reminded that I am a part of a large, caring community. This audible call to pause warms my heart and encourages me during a time when I am more and more disheartened by the way our country's leadership attempts to dehumanize us, destroy our attempts to recognize and help others, and put money over human values.  This call going out to all of us reminds me I am part of a community unified in our concern for those who are vulnerable and in danger.

I explained to my young students,"Isn't it great that we belong to a community that cares enough to call all of us to look up and protect the vulnerable?"

Next time that warning comes through your cell service, pause to give thanks that we belong to a community that is willing to pitch in and help someone who cannot help themselves, to keep an eye out for each other, and to raise our own awareness that there are those among us who live in danger.

Please, God, don't let this united force for human goodness be silenced like so many other forces in our country have been.



1 comment:

  1. Prayers arising every day for this country of freedom to avoid the direction they are heading us.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name following your comment. Comments will appear after moderation in order to keep spam out of this blog. Thank you for commenting!