If you want to know the mysterious in-depth, true and unadulterated reality of who I am, you'll probably be disappointed, because you likely already know everything about me. I'm not good at keeping secrets about myself, except the ones you really don't want to know about. :-/ (This kind of self-revelation is the result of having to write personal essays every single day for 46 days straight -- ten years in a row. Do the math.)
My transparent nature came to light this past week when I received three gifts that were exactly the same, but with unique deliveries.
First, you need to know this: I like Slurpees. I think this is kind of funny, because Dave and I both worked at 7-11 when we were first married. Most often I'd work the 11 pm to 7 am shift. As employees we were entitled to all the withered over-cooked hot dogs we wanted, and all the free Slurpees we wanted. I don't remember taking advantage of that opportunity, even when it was 4 am I was dead tired. But now, decades later, something was triggered and I have become, how do I put this, dedicated to the consumption of frozen icees, of the Coke variety. If the Coke is out, I'll go Slurpeeless.
Anyway, like every other weakness and strength in my life, it's pretty obvious. There are spare Slurpees in my freezer, for Sundays when I don't shop. There are empty Slurpee cups in my car, because refills are cheaper. And there's a little plastic frequent buyer card on my key chain so I get every seventh one free. This has replaced the gym card that I never used.
Yeah, I know.
Anyway, for my birthday last week my sister Ann Marie and her husband Mike gave me a nice stash of dough that will repeatedly fill those cups in my car.
And then my friend Suz gave me this:
![]() |
| To: The Slurpee Addict From: Your Enabler |
John does magical things with graphic art, in his spare time, as if he had spare time.
He created this sweet piece of art based on one of my album covers. He draws layer upon layer on his computer. Isn't it sweet? Here's the original cover, which uses an old family photo of two of my sisters and a bunch of other kids with Santa Clause, before I was even born.
Before John printed his creation, his wife Ashley suggested they stuff the album sleeve with Slurpee cash. And then she quipped, "Maybe we should rename the album."
And so, with John's propensity to engage in all things clever, he spent additional hours removing, recreating, and re-layering. This is the result:
Isn't it awesome?
I keep thinking one day this phase of Slurpee addiction will pass, the way garage sales did for me.
Someday.
Maybe.
![]() |
| Yup, that's your's truly in a Slurpee costume in John's family room, courtesy of their awesome neighbor, Tatiana. |




I ♥️ this!
ReplyDelete