Monday, March 2, 2020

WHAT IS YOUR STORY

Roughly half a dozen times a month I’m blessed to be able to take my guitar and my voice to minister to my fellow humans whose lives have taken them to reside in assisted living centers, or nursing homes, or rehab facilities. I have said many times, with complete honesty, that these are among my favorite musical gigs. It’s not just because of the opportunity for service and the inherent blessings that come with that. But I am always moved by the collection of life stories that gather around me when I sing. I make it a point, when I am singing, to look into the eyes of each person who is willing to look up. Some, sadly, just do not have that ability. But when I look in these eyes, I speak silently: “What is your story?”
Everyone has a story, and everyone has an interesting one. 
A few weeks ago, I can’t even recall which facility it was (I have been to literally hundreds of facilities along the Wasatch front in the last 20 years), I asked if anyone had any requests. I rarely sing my own songs on these musical journeys. I think they want to revisit songs they know, so I sing old classics. One fellow started singing an Italian aria. I knew the melody. It was from one of the popular operas. So, I starting humming along, and the two of us belted out the tune while the others clapped. I asked him how he knew that song, and he responded: “I sang it with the San Francisco Opera.”
“Seriously?” I asked, curious about this portion of his life story. “Were you part of the San Francisco Opera?”
He nodded, and smiled, then continued: “Well, I was actually with the San Francisco Ballet, but some of us were dancing as a part of that opera. During rehearsals, I started singing along and the conductor stopped the orchestra, pointed at me, and said;
“You! Don’t sing! Just Dance!”
We all laughed. Turns out he had danced with the ballet for many seasons, leading a couple worldwide tours with them. Eventually he moved to Salt Lake City and got into acting. He appeared in several episodes of Touched by an Angel when they were filming here. He was in his early 90’s and was bright eyed and witty and full of personality. One of so many interesting stories in the centuries of life lived in those rooms my guitars and I visit.
Tonight, Dave made it home barely in time to hop in the car with me and head up to Fairfield Village in Layton, where I was to share an hour of stories and songs for their Home Evening. There were roughly a hundred senior citizens there, gathered together. Lots of history in that space. Lots of glowing heads, their white hair reflecting the overhead lighting.
Our friends, Randy and Cherie Darrohn, whose church callings are to serve this community, had asked me to sing, and Randy had specifically asked that if Dave could come, would we please sing Joseph & Mary, even though it isn’t Christmas. So, after I sang the tune “David’s Eyes”, I invited Dave up to sing with me. 
No one there knew the story of David’s day, let alone his life. They wouldn’t have known that he spent from 8:30 am until 3:30 pm seated as a state district court judge in a capitol murder hearing. Then he drove immediately down to the State Capital Building to testify before a Legislative Committee regarding an impending Senate bill. Then he drove frantically home to make it in time to go sing to this gathering assembled in an Assisted Living center.
He stood there singing the words:
“Dear Lord… I have given it my all.”
And I thought to myself as I looked in his root-beer brown eyes, “It’s true, you have given it your all.”
One day, it could be day-after-tomorrow, if we are lucky enough, Dave and I might find ourselves in such a place, either beside each other or alone, being ministered to. And I hope someone will think enough to look in our eyes and ask: What is your story?”

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you wrote this story down. It is now recorded in history . Thank you so much Cori. For your kind, constant care you give to others and for your inspired words which remind us to try to follow your example of genuine care and love .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cori and Dave, Randy and I just read this together while we're here in Phoenix at a pb tournament and I can't quite find the words needed to let you and Dave know how very, very wonderful it was for all of us at the center to be able to partake of your MAGIC and the magic and tenderness you both have for each other. It brought such a sense of peace to us all. And wow you are so talented and absolutely amazing. I do love how you sing David's eyes. You can tell there's a lot of love and tenderness going on. I can only imagine how the cute little widow's and widowers loved hearing it while reminiscing their beloved spouses. Again thank you so much. I'm homesick for you two being my neighbor's

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love these words and the story behind the words. I just can't tell you how I love this time of year when I get to read your words, Cori. I am so thankful you decided to write for Lent those many years ago and it's my favorite reading material of the year. Thank you for sharing yourself and your gift with all the world.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name following your comment. Comments will appear after moderation in order to keep spam out of this blog. Thank you for commenting!