Dave brought down four suitcases from the upstairs closet. He knows how things change. We are headed to New York today, to visit our Kate who lives upstate, then on to NYC to see our grandson Timo perform at Lincoln Center. Indeed, we have both already repacked our things into new bags. We start out small, cuz that’s our nature. Carry as little as possible when you’re travelling seems to be our mindset. But it will be Easter and Sherry and Libby are sending chocolate and we have to have our Jelly Bellyflops. And then, oh yeah, I’ll need a Sunday dress. And shoes.
The way Dave and I pack is pretty last minute. More fastidious people plan what they will wear on their trip, and set out piles in preparation, so they might know ahead of time what size suitcase to use. We sort of load stuff in as we think of it. It would be different if we were going to Africa. But we are headed to our daughter’s house, where we already keep work clothes and Dave keeps a spare white shirt and tie.
It’s good to know where you are going before you pack.
I sit here with my computer on my lap and look around our family room. So much stuff! Sentimental to the max. And I love it, I really do. I still pinch myself to think I get to live here. But I am struck this morning, as I pause from my packing to do my Lent writing, knowing what the day ahead requires, with the thought that I should start packing less on my journey Home. Home with a capital H.
None of this stuff is going with me, I know. But in defense of it, the presence of it right now in my existence evokes parts of me I like. Well, most of the stuff evokes sweet feelings. Some of it I just don’t know what to do with, but that’s another issue. I know when I take that last journey, I won’t even need a carry-on.
We travel light when we fly back Home.
But while I’m here I guess I should work on lightening the load, without trying to be someone I’m not.
Then again, I thrill at being on the earth and all the physical treasures that speak the thought “This is me.” I don’t have a minimalist home, even though I think they are cool. I don’t have a minimalist home because there isn’t a minimalist me. I’m full of all sorts of random stuff, and pretty much all of it is sentimental. I guess that will have to be ok for now.
Back to packing.

I like your stuff. I like your ideas! Besides if you didn't have stuff who would people go to borrow say a red runway carpet, or Chinese lanterns, or Shepard crooks or Nativity costumes or birthday hats and golden crowns or chaffing dishes and rice cookers, or a nearly life-sized camel, or a hula skirt or indian headdress, pioneer bonnets, and perhaps even a suitcase. etc, etc, etc. 🥰♥️
ReplyDeleteLibby, thanks for understanding me and actually celebrating my quirks!
DeleteAccording to the song “Sisters”, it has always been that way between the two of you.
DeleteI agree Libby...she has EVERYTHING!! Both physical, and emotional and mental for me. Thank you Cori Connors...i so love you!!
ReplyDelete