Saturday, March 20, 2021

28. A MOTHER SONG



Who told you, who told you that you could grow up

Who told you that you could start walking

One day you mumbled your first little word

And suddenly now you are talking

I have to admit when the night comes around

I’m grateful you’ve learned how to sleep through

I’m rested, and blessed, but I stop now and then

And wonder where my baby went to

 

Oh my, we mothers all

All of our hearts  rearranging

Weep when the season begins

And weep once again when its changing

 


Who gave you permission to just walk away

And spend all your days with another

Who  teaches, and reaches, and stretches the world

That once was just you and your mother’s

I barely dozed off for an afternoon nap

Grateful for your education

And woke up with memories flooding my eyes

Cheering at your graduation

 

Oh my, we mothers all

All of our hearts  rearranging

Weep when the season begins

And weep once again when its changing


 

I blew you a kiss on the day that you left

Praying the Lord would protect you

Its what we had planned, I know, but I swear

If I could have, I would have kept you

Now look how you’ve grown to a beautiful soul

So bright I could never conceive it

Grateful that you were brought into my world

Knowing that soon you would leave it

 

Oh my, we mothers all

All of our hearts  rearranging

Weep when the season begins

And weep once again when its changing







1 comment:

  1. Oh my, this one has me weeping. So beautiful Cori. So perfectly painting the picture of motherhood, the joys and sorrows of seeing our children grow. My two oldest are in their 50s. Can you believe that, their 50s!!! Time goes by in a wink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name following your comment. Comments will appear after moderation in order to keep spam out of this blog. Thank you for commenting!