
If you're a grandmother, or an auntie, or a neighbor-lady, and you want kids to sort-of-want-to be in your world, then I suggest you get a costume box. Any old box will do. Dressers, or plastic bins, or even basement closets work as well, if you have more of a need for order than I do. Such a vessel holds all sorts of possibility for kids, little and big kids. It says, without saying, "I value your ability to pretend." I'm a fan of pretending. I do it even still, though often it's while my head is on my pillow and my eyes are closed. I had a blessed childhood where pretending was encouraged. Well, I imagine that was the case, but I suspect in reality Mom had no idea what was going on down there in the basement. Nowadays you would have to be extra careful NOT to have any sort of screen in the basement, because that kind of pretending can go south really fast. I fear we may be losing the power of physical hands-on pretending, where you use costumes and props. Therefore, I keep a wad of costumes down there in my basement. Long live the innocent world of make-believe! |
First, you don't really need full costumes. A pair of glassless glasses and a plastic wand will work. |
 |
| And you don't have to be little |
 |
There are no rules. Nothing needs to match... or even fit. |
 |
It's amazing what a little snip here and there with a bit of glue and a baseball hat can do. Age is not a factor. |
 |
| Funny how one hat can make it a party! |
I've just noticed we use hats a lot at our house. Maybe because they are sort of "one size fits all". |
You may have thought a princess crown would make every day a good one. Not so. |
 |
| Tess came wandering in while I was writing a song. |
 |
When we were little, and we had no grandmother or auntie close by, Libby and I improvised by making princess hats out of wire hangers and silk scarves. |
 |
Tess improvises in the movie theater. That's "snuzzle", her version of her blankie, which is actually the swaddle her mom used when she was a baby. |
 |
I made teeny-tiny Santa hats and beards for miniature dinosaurs. |
 |
My son John in my antique top hat. That's his home-grown beard. |
 |
One day Libby and I decided to go to Zurchers party store around Thanksgiving time. |
 |
| Libby remains my favorite playmate of all time. |
 |
This is one of the party hats we use for every birthday. We have a variety of them. |
 |
Gramma's who cook should also have a drawer full of chef hats. |
 |
The night John got home from his mission in England, our friends Bea and Edo were visiting from France. Hats and music make instant parties. |
 |
I went through a phase where I was personally amused by plastic flamingoes. I put two of them in a planter in our front yard. Then I made hats for each holiday. Here, obviously, it is Springtime, perfect for the wearin'o'the green. |
 |
I made these bride and groom hats for a wedding shower we hosted at our house. |
 |
| And here we have July... flags and flowers and top hats. |
 |
Gracie hardly needed the tinsel and wings to look like an angel. |
 |
| And here's Gracie again, rockin' the Jessie hat and chaps. |
 |
Vintage hats. (no pride. no shame.)
|
 |
| Little Cal in a big pirate hat. |
 |
| Cousins in hats... well, sort of. |
 |
| Cousins singing Cinderella songs |
 |
| Cousins prepare for battle |
 |
| ... battle is a recurring theme. |
 |
random orange lab coats and left over graduation caps. Everyone needs these. |
 |
And every healthy family needs a flock of chickens in the kitchen |
 |
I sewed these nightgowns for my girls one Christmas. I was just learning to sew. Ruby's arms were 12" too long. Can you tell she wasn't too happy about it? Sorry, Ru. |
 |
On Sunday morning, when you want to create an Army of Heleman, all you really need is a bunch of knit fabric from the basement and a pair of scissors. |
 |
Walter feels the power instantly. Costumes can do that. |
 |
We made all these costumes for our neighborhood nativity. Some of them are glued. I am gifted with glue. |
 |
... but I actually stitched this Father Christmas robe for my brother, John, because... duh, he looks just like Father Christmas. |
 |
... and I made all these Heavenly Choir robes we use every year for my Christmas concert. Again --- no stitching, only white sheets, a pair of pinking shears, and some satin ribbon and safety pins. Talent abounds! |
 |
| Ah, yes, remember the years I was addicted to Slurpees? |
 |
Joe in a vintage costume I got at a Michigan garage sale. |
 |
When your dad is in charge of the Color Run your Halloween costumes are especially cool.
|
 |
when you have a costume box, you get to be authentic at school stuff |
 |
| Aunties can't resist little Gnomes. |
 |
| ... and uncles make good backdrops. |
 |
All the neighbors and everyone at church knows who to call when they need costumes |
 |
| (the Bishopric calls fairly often) |
 |
This very freakish but awesome bird mask always falls out of the game cupboard when I open the door. |
 |
| Even 2x4's like to wear costumes |
 |
| Christmas Eve |
 |
We have many years of this scene preserved in our cameras and our hearts |
I could go on and on, but it's 1 am. Frankly, if you have scrolled down to this point you are either family, or you're not able to get to sleep. (I hope this helped.) I'll just leave it here, with a reminder that sometimes we just need to let go of reality and jump into good, healthy, dress up and pretend-ness to keep our lives balanced.
 |
| Ru-la-la |
 |
| Gram ("Want my sucker?") |
Oh this makes my heart so very very happy. I so love your talents Cori which blow me away. They did when we were little and they have just simply thrives because you follow those happy promptings. So love these pictures and stories❤️
ReplyDelete