I'm tired. Really tired. It's 12:30 am and my body wants sleep. A lot happened today. Lots and lots of "happens". Here is 30 minutes worth of March 26, 2022: Something I created.
I didn't actually create this boy, but I helped create his mom, who helped create him. So, I have some measure of ownership in the creation process I suppose.
| Timo Petersen - Captain of Mountain Ridge Drumline. |
This is Timo. His Drumline at Mountain Ridge High School had a competition today. Since it happened to be ten minutes from our house, we took a break from the monumental task of cleaning our garage, picked up my sister Libby, and went to clap. Well, we actually went to see it, and hear it, but any grandparent and uber-auntie knows the driving force behind the attendance at multiple performances that pile up this time of year is the foreordained calling to be a clapper. And, in this case since it was in Davis High School gym, we whooped and hollered too.
One of the nice things about these indoor percussion competitions is the show itself lasts something like four-and-a-half minutes. They are docked points if they don't get on and off stage within a certain amount of time, so it's a mad rush.
Here's what my iPhone absorbed of the short visit we made to Davis High today:
| Upon arrival the lined-up marimbas and xylophones looked sort of like a funeral procession. |
| Each high school percussion group had its own area in the large parking lot. |
| The group stood in a large circle and reviewed their piece vocally, with one drummer keeping the beat. It sounded awesome. |
| It's an amazing physical orchestration. Then the music starts. |
| The thing about marching band is it's almost as much dance as it is music. |
| When they're done they have to get all that equipment off stage in a couple minutes or they are docked points. |
| They end by rolling up their canvas floor prop and removing it. It takes serious teamwork. |
| My drummer boy is a Senior this year... |
| ... and I'll hug him every chance I get. |

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your name following your comment. Comments will appear after moderation in order to keep spam out of this blog. Thank you for commenting!