Alas.
We are plunged into the human realm completely vulnerable. It takes rapid growth to get to the point of even being able to feed ourselves, or manage our own basic bodily functions. We came wholeheartedly to this life without knowing. At what point did we get the idea that we need to know everything before we move forward? For sure there's a thick hazy line between ignorance and certainty. The innocent in us asks how we can color inside the lines when the lines aren't clear? The adult explains certainty before taking action is the easy way out. The brave ones move without knowing absolute outcomes.
Be brave.
Inform as much as you can. Then ask your gut... your God... your angels...even another human you trust... and move. Even tentatively. Just move.
When Moses finally got his big old tribe of wanderers within eyesight of the Promised Land, he handed the leadership of God's people over to Joshua. The only thing separating them from their destination was a river. But the seasons were changing and the mountains were letting go of winter snow and the transformed water was rushing down, the river was overflowing, frightening and deep. Their past experience had been that God would part the water, like He had at the Red Sea. This time though, He didn't. This time they had to get their feet wet before the water parted.
They had become independent people. Their freedom had given them a greater ability to choose. That ability came with responsibility. And frankly, in their wanderings, they had made some pretty poor choices. Maybe by this point they had to prove, to God and to themselves, that they could make holy choices. I don't understand the whole of it. I only know that for me, the lesson I've learned from this well preserved piece of history is that the waters did not part until the people took action themselves.
So watch me at the river's edge as I tack a rainbow ribbon on my church dress. See my hands lift bread and water to my lips every week, at home or wherever we are visiting, reminding myself and my God that while I am not sure of everything, I am still willing to call myself a believer. Hear me whisper thanks for the food which is prepared at my table, not certain I am being a good steward over what is mine, but still willing to acknowledge the source of all good things. Sing along as I lift hymns of praise if you'd like, or not. It's ok. I'll do it anyway, but I won't force you to do it. Look up and see the signs we carry in protest to what we feel is wrongly forced upon our people. Hold gently the heartache I carry for those I love. Do not block my screams for justice and compassion for those who cannot speak for themselves. I'm not completely sure of what I'm doing. But by golly, I'm getting my feet wet.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your name following your comment. Comments will appear after moderation in order to keep spam out of this blog. Thank you for commenting!