I'm thinking about the white house lawn, How they are getting the grass ready for the Easter Egg roll. And I'm thinking about grass roots, and telling myself that, symbolically, I may only be one root on one little blade of grass but I am going to be a courageous grass root and do my best to represent.
Tomorrow I am going to take my little grass-rooted self to Kaysville Jr High and get myself informed and willing, even though I don't know everything. Even though I know relatively little.
The thing about caucuses is that this is the place where we choose the people we know and trust to go represent us at the next level. Then they cast their votes to choose the people to represent at the next level, and on up to the top. We also vote on other things. It's pretty cool.
Dave just came in from working in the yard, since the weather is lovely for the first time this year. We have a couple patches of bad grass, and a couple places that haven't received enough light and the grass is sparse. He will reseed those sparse places, and we will do whatever digging is necessary to clear out the bad grass before it takes over. It all comes down to the roots. We can chop as much as we want at the bad grass, but the place where we will effect change is at the roots.
That's what our neighborhood caucuses are about. We get in there right at the root level. Here we get together within our political parties. We chat about things, talk civilly about what matters to us. We can speak up if we want. Or we can just listen. But every single one of us gets to vote. It makes me feel so American!
Here is where we elect a small handful of people to go to larger gatherings where bigger decisions are made. And here is where I figure out, with the help of my personal angels, which minds, perspectives and personalities will represent me the best. And here is where I privately make my vote. People don't see your hand raising for or against them. We vote in private.
I'm going to be 100% American tomorrow evening. Come with me.We can stretch our little powerful grassy roots.
To find out where your caucus meets, just google "Where do I go for my caucus meetings?"

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your name following your comment. Comments will appear after moderation in order to keep spam out of this blog. Thank you for commenting!