Saturday, March 28, 2026

33. EVEN IF YOUR VOICE SHAKES

Years ago, before a worldwide pandemic shook civilization to a state of vulnerability, our daughter Kate was home for a bit. She had completed half a dozen years of teaching adolescents at inner city schools in Texas. Altered from the awareness earned in that perpetual state of crisis, inequality, and hopelessness that comes from certain demographics being repeatedly beat down, she was creating curriculum here in Utah while she applied for Doctoral programs. It was 2016.
One evening I came out of my room to find Kate lying on the couch crying. This is not at all typical of Kate. Shocked and concerned I asked her what was wrong.
"I'm worried DT might win the upcoming election."
I shook my head and reassured her that our country was not going to let a reality show bully who liked to purse his lips as he announced "You're fired!" become the President of the United States. 
Kate lamented: "I don't think people see him clearly. They just want change. Any change. They'll dive headfirst into shark infested water just to get out of the boat."
"I have more confidence in the American people, Kate. The basic morals of our people value character more than worldly success. This can't possibly be the change we want. I don't think you need to worry."
I was wrong.
Twice.
And so when the sun rises on tomorrow, Saturday March 28, 2026 I will march, for the America I loved...
the country my grandchildren will inherit...
for the America that supports my Constitutional right to protest.
My poor grandkids, when their mom asked them if they wanted to join the protest, answered:
"We do, but we don't want to get shot."
What child should have to consider these things? 
Our family, two months ago.
We are refusing to become complacent or complicit.

So their mom, their aunties and uncles, their grandpa and great Aunties will all go speak for them with our signs and our presence. Many hands make light work. 
I have one King.
Only one.
And He is filled with compassion, mercy, intelligence and love.


Here's the thing though: While I am willing to stand up and declare my distrust and even disdain for the character, actions, and philosophies of our current president and his administration, I have to keep reminding myself that the one true King has commanded me to love them. That turns the heat down in my brain, and softens my heart. I hear my Savior whisper from the cross:

"Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

I make my heart go there. I can keep myself from lowering my standards to the level of wishing someone dead. And, equally important, it is not my right to make them feel the same.
But it is my right to protest their leadership, their policies, their overreach and lack of compassion and human decency. I can do this even if my voice shakes.
Tonight I literally ask my Lord to bless DT, right after I ask Him to bless my family. We all need forgiveness, because truth be known, all of us truly know not what we do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name following your comment. Comments will appear after moderation in order to keep spam out of this blog. Thank you for commenting!